Dr. Shahriar (Sean) Amini
- Associate Professor
Areas of Research
- Novel clean energy technologies
- Sustainability of industrial systems
- Master in Business Administration (MBA), Strategic Management, Manchester Business School, University of Manchester, United Kingdom, 2014
- Advanced Professional Diploma, Management, University of Manchester & Stockport College, United Kingdom, 2010
- Ph.D., Interdisciplinary Engineering, The University of New South Wales (UNSW Sydney) & Australian Commonwealth Scientific and Research Organization (CSIRO), Australia, 2005
- Master of Science in Chemical Engineering Studies, The University of New South Wales (UNSW Sydney), Australia, 2002
- B.Sc., Mechanical Engineering (Thermo-Fluids Science), Azad university, Iran, 1997
Dr. Sean Amini joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering at University of Alabama in August 2020 as Associate Professor. Prior to this he was based in Norway as Senior Scientist and Research Director at SINTEF (Scandinavia’s largest research organization) and as Adjunct Associate Professor at Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU).
Dr. Amini has been successful in attracting over $20M external research funding, initiated and managed large international projects. He has over 80 publications in leading journals on sustainability and clean energy technologies. During his work at SINTEF and NTNU, he has worked with a large number of companies in interdisciplinary R&D projects and supervised nine PhD students, six Post Doctoral fellows and five Scientists. Prior working at SINTEF, he was a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at University of Manchester, UK, funded by Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) and earlier held a research fellowship at Delft University of Technology (TU Delf), Netherlands funded by Australian Commonwealth Scientific and Research Organization (CSIRO), Australia.
Dr. Amini´s current research is focused on the accelerated development of technologies for clean energy conversion, the integration of these technologies into the energy system of the future and improving the sustainability of industrial systems. This goal is being pursued through the complementary channels of simulation-based engineering, experimental demonstration of novel concepts, techno-economic assessment and life cycle analysis.
In his free time, he enjoys outdoor activities with his wife and two children, plays tennis and coaches his son.
- Nazir, S.M., J.F. Morgado, O. Bolland, R. Quinta-Ferreira, and S. Amini, Techno-economic assessment of chemical looping reforming of natural gas for hydrogen production and power generation with integrated CO2 capture. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 2018. 78: p. 7-20.
- Dhoke, C., A. Zaabout, S. Cloete, H. Seo, Y.-k. Park, R. Blom, and S. Amini, The swing adsorption reactor cluster (SARC) for post combustion CO2 capture: Experimental proof-of-principle. Chemical Engineering Journal, 2018.
- Cloete, S., J.H. Cloete, and S. Amini, Hydrodynamic validation study of filtered Two Fluid Models. Chemical Engineering Science, 2018. 182: p. 93-107.
- Ugwu, A., A. Zaabout, J.R. Tolchard, P.I. Dahl, and S. Amini, Gas Switching Reforming for syngas production with iron-based oxygen carrier-the performance under pressurized conditions. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 2020. 45(2): p. 1267-1282.
- Osman, M., A. Zaabout, S. Cloete, and S. Amini, Mapping the operating performance of a novel internally circulating fluidized bed reactor applied to chemical looping combustion. Fuel Processing Technology, 2020. 197.