About the Department
Mechanical engineering is the most versatile of all engineering programs. Mechanical engineering encompasses the design, analysis, testing and manufacture of products used in every facet of modern society. Mechanical engineers design components, machines, systems and processes.
Mechanical engineers pursue careers in the automotive, aerospace, chemical, computer, communication, defense, energy, railroad and robotics industries, just to name a few. Mechanical engineers are also found in almost all manufacturing industries. Increasingly, mechanical engineers are needed in the environmental and bio-medical fields, and many of our graduates have pursued education in medicine and law. Without a doubt, virtually every product or service in modern life has probably been touched in some way by a mechanical engineer.
The engineering graphics program is also part of the mechanical engineering department. Engineers use technical drawing to communicate and document their ideas. Students in all the engineering disciplines who want to communicate in the graphical language are encouraged to study engineering graphics.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Alabama will educate students at all degree levels to meet the current and future engineering needs of Alabama and the United States. We, as faculty and staff, will educate and guide these students to have desirable professional capabilities in applied and theoretical engineering knowledge, strong professional leadership skills, and a strong sense of responsibility to serve their profession and community. As part of the mission of a student-centered research institution, faculty will direct students in conducting useful engineering research that results in peer-reviewed publications.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering will:
- Provide high-quality undergraduate, graduate and continuing education in mechanical engineering that will prepare our graduates for professional careers and a lifetime of learning.
- Conduct high-quality research programs that support the undergraduate and graduate education objectives, assist in the economic development of the state and nation, and advance the general state of knowledge.
- Serve individual practicing engineers, industry, government, educational entities, and technical societies through active involvement with these groups and by providing professional expertise.
- Ensure that our students are well-educated technically, have some practical training, and have actively participated in professional society activities.
- Provide an excellent education to our undergraduate students
- Provide an excellent education to our graduate students
- Enhance the research and teaching reputation of mechanical engineering at The University Alabama
- As faculty and staff, provide service to our profession, the national and international community, our state and region, and our local and university communities that reflects positively on engineering and the University